Since the change over of the playoff process, many fans of local level football have been somewhat confused on what makes a play off team. Fort Meade did not make the playoffs last year due in part to the outcome of points that are based not only on the wins and loss record, but also the win / loss record of the opponents on their schedule. This will be an attempt to explain this system as best as possible as explained from the FHSAA.
For our purpose, this is the 2018/2019 Fort Meade Miners scheldule
8/17/2018 Home Celebration
8/24/2018 Home Hardee * Bonus Points Available
08/31/2018 Home Lake Region
09/07/2018 Away Lake Placid * Bonus Points Available
09/14/2018 Away Golden Gate (Naples)
09/21/2018 BYE WEEK
09/28/2018 Away Lakeland Christian * Bonus Points Available
10/05/2018 Away Avon Park * Bonus Points Available
10/12/2018 Home Tenoroc (Homecoming)
10/19/2018 Away Zephyrhills Christian* Bonus Points Available
10/26/2018 Home Victory Christian * Bonus Points Available
11/02/2018 Home Frostproof * Bonus Points Available
Now, that we have that information lets dive into year 2 of the points system.
OPPONENTS WILL FIT INTO ONE OF THE FOUR CATEGORIES BELOW
- Won more than 80% of their games
- If your opponent’s record is: 10-0 8-0 8-2 9-1 8-1 9-0
- If you Win you get 50 points
- If you lose you get 35 points
- Has won at least 60% of their games but no more than 79%
- If your opponent’s record is: 7-3 7-2 6-4 6-3
- If you Win you get 45 points
- If you lose you get 30 points
- Has won at least 40% of their games but no more than 59%
- If your opponent’s record is: 5-5 4-6
- If you Win you get 40 points
- If you lose you get 25 points
- Has won less than 39% of their games
- If your opponent’s record is: 3-7 3-6 2-8 1-9 0-10 1-7
- If you Win you get 35 points
- If you lose you get 20 points
If opponent only plays 9 games, it will not penalize your team. Base it on the percentages. Example: 7-2 won 77% of their games- you would get Category two points in addition to the previous basic points, bonus points are awarded on the following basis:
- Three bonus points will be awarded for scheduling and playing a team that participated in the playoffs the previous two-year scheduling cycle (In 2016 OR 2017). Those bonus points will carry with you both years of the new two-year scheduling cycle if the game is played both years.
- Three bonus points will be given for scheduling and playing a team that finished in the top 25 end of the year Maxpreps or USAtoday final expert football rankings. These bonus points will carry with you both years of the new two-year scheduling cycle if the game is played both years.
- The maximum bonus points a team can earn per game is 3.
POINT SYSTEM – Qualifying Criteria
- In order to be considered as a “Playoff” qualifier, a school must play a minimum of eight regular-season games. (An exception may be made by the Executive Director of FHSAA for schools that are not provided a full schedule of games.)
- Only the results of regularly scheduled games scheduled prior to the start of the regular season will be used in calculating the point total. All schedules will be final on the Monday of the first regular season play date.
- If a school plays an opponent more than once during the season, only the first game shall count in calculating the point totals.
- Only regular season games of out-of-state teams will be used to calculate the point average.
- The score of a game does not affect the number of points a team receives. A score of 7-6 will result in the same number of points as a score of 50-0
This point system will be tallied on the final outcome of each opponents season record. There has also been a change in reference to the amount of team which make the playoffs from each region.
“Beginning with the 2018 season in Class 1A-4A 6 teams would qualify for state series play from each region. Currently 4 teams from each region qualify. The 1 and 2 seed would receive a bye to the second round. The first round the 3 seed would host the 6 seed
and the 4 seed would host the 5 seed.”
Fort Meade is currently part of 1A Region 4 and that consists of the following teams:
Bronson / Crescent City / Fort Meade / Frostproof / Hawthorne / Pahokee / Wildwood / Williston
At Fort Meade Daily we will do our best to keep you up to date with the status of the Miners throughout the 2018-2019 Football Season.
#minerfootball #noexcuses #fortmeade